Saturday 9 February 2013

SPOON # 6 - Saturday 9th February


Spoon number 6 is an ash dessert spoon. Despite the fact that I prefer cranked spoons, this is the second in a row that I've made which is straight. That’s not to say I don’t like straight spoons. There are some carvers out there who make some lovely ones – I follow Simon Hill on his blog: http://simonhillgreenwoodwork.blogspot.co.uk/
He has made some lovely straight spoons lately, highly decorative and beautifully finished. Have a look – his spoons are for sale and well worth the price, I think.

 
 
Mine is a fairly simple spoon, but I have carved the end in what I have come to call ‘Jarrod-style’. Jarrod Stonedahl is one of my all-time favourite spoon carvers. He makes very delicate, often painted, practical yet decorative spoons, many of which seem to utilize a similar technique on the end-of-the-handle carving. It is simple, but to my eyes, very effective and quite Victorian looking. Just have a look at Jarrod's spoon rack - brilliant!

 
I did see Jarrod at Spoonfest but didn’t actually get to do his class, so have kind of worked it out by looking at a spoon that my brother Julian bought of his, as well as pictures from his website. It simply entails carving notches (straight-sided ‘v’ cuts) and cornices (curved cuts) in the edge profile of the stem or handle. Then a long 45 degree cut is made on the top edge of the handle, in effect chamfering it. This has the effect of adding an extra dimension to the décor, something which I think is really elegant.



Have a look at this spoon of Jarrods and you’ll see what I mean:


I particularly like the white spoon - it looks so 'authentic' and could easily have been made a hundred or so years ago.
 
Jarrod also sells his spoons and if you can get hold of one, I would highly recommend them. Julian eats his breakfast with one every morning and it holds up to regular use really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment