Saturday, 9 February 2013

SPOON # 6 - Saturday 9th February


Spoon number 6 is an ash dessert spoon. Despite the fact that I prefer cranked spoons, this is the second in a row that I've made which is straight. That’s not to say I don’t like straight spoons. There are some carvers out there who make some lovely ones – I follow Simon Hill on his blog: http://simonhillgreenwoodwork.blogspot.co.uk/
He has made some lovely straight spoons lately, highly decorative and beautifully finished. Have a look – his spoons are for sale and well worth the price, I think.

 
 
Mine is a fairly simple spoon, but I have carved the end in what I have come to call ‘Jarrod-style’. Jarrod Stonedahl is one of my all-time favourite spoon carvers. He makes very delicate, often painted, practical yet decorative spoons, many of which seem to utilize a similar technique on the end-of-the-handle carving. It is simple, but to my eyes, very effective and quite Victorian looking. Just have a look at Jarrod's spoon rack - brilliant!

 
I did see Jarrod at Spoonfest but didn’t actually get to do his class, so have kind of worked it out by looking at a spoon that my brother Julian bought of his, as well as pictures from his website. It simply entails carving notches (straight-sided ‘v’ cuts) and cornices (curved cuts) in the edge profile of the stem or handle. Then a long 45 degree cut is made on the top edge of the handle, in effect chamfering it. This has the effect of adding an extra dimension to the d├ęcor, something which I think is really elegant.



Have a look at this spoon of Jarrods and you’ll see what I mean:


I particularly like the white spoon - it looks so 'authentic' and could easily have been made a hundred or so years ago.
 
Jarrod also sells his spoons and if you can get hold of one, I would highly recommend them. Julian eats his breakfast with one every morning and it holds up to regular use really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment