Friday 18 January 2013

SPOON # 3 - 18th Jan

Another ash spoon, again in what I consider to be something of a traditional or even medieval style. I've seen other spoons of this kind on the internet and quite like the simplicity of the overall design, contrasted with the unnecessarily ornate 'spade' shape of the bowl.

Not a great picture, I know, but I had to make the most of the snow -
 it doesn't last for long here in the UK.

The strange brown discoloration at the tip of the bowl is actually in the grain
of the wood and adds a bit of character, I think.




I'm not sure you can see it very well on the photo, but I have left a small swell
on the underside at the end of the handle, which makes it a little nicer in the hand - tactile too.

Again, as it's a 'working' spoon - it's about the size of an average serving spoon - I have left it with a tooled finish. The bowl is fairly shallow and I really quite like the chamfered edge on the bowl.

I haven't used the spoon yet, it needs a few more weeks of drying really, and a further oiling, but I imagine it would work very well. Although the pointed tip of the bowl could prove to be a double edged sword - great for getting into the corners of pots, pans and jars; maybe a weak point that could break off with use.

No comments:

Post a Comment