Sunday 9 June 2013

SPOON(S) # 23 - Sunday 9th June 2013

Usually, I cut a piece of wood and set about carving a single spoon. Today I thought I'd have a go at carving four spoons the same. Of course, I've made matching spoons before, but never all at the same time, working on one, then moving on to the next and then the next, each time repeating the same part of the spoon (hope that makes sense). My plan today was to see if it's any easier or quicker to make spoons this way, by repeating the same action or cut on each spoon.

I picked up a nice, green branch of what I think is Rowan, that someone had cut and left lying on the path, so I thought I'd put it to good use. I cut a short, straight grained section, halved it, quatered it and set about my project.
First, axe a flat face and stensil on the outline

Next, rough out the outline with the axe

Then, crank the front of the spoons

Then, shape the back of the spoon a bit - again with the axe

Re-draw the outline and then, with a knife, cut to the line


Then a bit of shaping, decoration and, of course, hollow out the bowl


These condiment spoons are far from perfect and will need drying and finishing - maybe sanding - but the point of the exercise was to see if it made any difference carving four spoons at a time. Despite having to stop and start more times than I'd anticipated, I think the experiment was successful. Perhaps next time, a little more care.

No comments:

Post a Comment